Like interior design, there’s more to professional copywriting than meets the eye. And also like interior design, most people don’t realize what it takes to reach that final transformative creation of function and beauty.
A professional copywriter, especially one who specializes in a particular industry, is more than just a creative writer — we are savvy business professionals.
Yes, we have to be great at writing (just like you have to be great at creating spaces that are beautiful), but we also have to do ALL of the following, too…
- Understand smart business, and more importantly, your business model
- Write strategically to attract your dream clients
- Channel your unique voice and mission into intriguing and relational copy
- Inspire that initial connection with you
- Make sure we’re using your SEO keywords
- Employ strategic calls to action that inspire dream clients to take the next step with you
As you can see, there is SO much research, strategy and iteration that goes into even a few great paragraphs of copy.
What types of content could benefit from professional copywriting?
What can professional copy do for your design firm?
Investing in professional copywriting is very similar to investing in interior design — the investment goes beyond time spent.
For example, whether you charge an hourly rate or a flat fee, your clients are really paying for…
- Your many years of expertise in many aspects of design (materials, the process, budgeting, etc.)
- Your network of other trade specialists and vendors
- Your management or oversight of their project
- Your foresight in designing their home to function and last
- Your eye for style and composition
And that barely scratches the surface.
The same is true for professional copywriting. The value of great copy goes far beyond the copy’s length or even the number of hours it took to write. Because truly strategic, relational, and on-brand copy…
- Better attracts your dream clients and design projects
- Saves time on NOT having to screen leads that aren’t the right fit
- Creates a personable connection for better client relationships
- Gives you confidence and clarity when talking about your business (to partners, clients, etc.)
- Creates happy clients and builds your referral network
- Helps grow your mailing list or other social platforms
- Improves SEO over time
- Leads to long-term business growth
Need we say more?
How do you know if your website needs professional copy?
If you’re experiencing any or several of the following challenges, working with a professional copywriter can help:
- The potential clients who contact you are NOT your dream clients
- You’re seeing a less than desirable number of new clients coming in
- You’re not getting lead magnet signups
- Your website copy feels generic
- Your website copy gives no indication of who your ideal client is
- You feel that your SEO could be improved
That said, you don’t need to be experiencing challenges to benefit from new copy. Many of our clients come to us when they see opportunities instead:
- You’re ready to level up your digital presence overall
- You’re repositioning your business to attract only your favorite projects
- You’re moving locations or opening a second studio
- You’re shifting into the Creative Director role as your team starts to grow
- You want to align your business with a new vision for the next 2-5+ years
If you’re still unsure, book a Discovery Call with us. We’ll be happy to listen to your situation, weigh in honestly, and see if it’s the right fit for both of us.
Until next time,